If you’ve ever driven through a fog or opened your eyes underwater, you know just how disorienting it is when you can’t see clearly what’s ahead. Now, the truth is, none of us can predict the future. We can’t actually know what’s ahead and guide our teams with certainty and assurance that we control the outcomes.
Our confidence comes not from certainty, but from clarity.
I wholeheartedly believe that one of the biggest gifts leaders can give those they are entrusted to lead is the gift of clarity.
Years ago, I heard Patrick Lencioni, Founder and President of the Table Group, bestselling author, and one of my favorite leaders to learn from present at a conference. Among the notes I furiously scribbled were some profoundly practical questions to ask in the pursuit of clarity. I go back to them often and thought they could be helpful to our 4Sight community in this season.
Six Critical Questions for Clarity
- Why do we exist? (What is our purpose?)
- How do we behave? (What are the core values we seek to embody? – A core value is something that you’re willing to be punished for. To violate a core value is to sell your soul.)
- What do we do? (What is the product, service or support we provide in this moment?)
- How will we succeed? (What is our strategy – the myriad of intentional decisions that differentiate us from our competitors?)
- What is most important, right now? (Yes, it’s okay for this answer to change season to season.)
- Who must do what? (And do they know what they’re responsible for?)
If the answers to these questions are not immediately available, I encourage you to keep digging and unpacking until you unearth them. Fight for clarity. Not only will your team thank you for it, but your mission will flourish from it.
Keep leading well!
Jenni Catron and The 4Sight Group
Jenni Catron is a writer, speaker, and leadership coach who consults churches and non-profits to help them lead from their extraordinary best. She speaks at conferences and churches nationwide, seeking to help others develop their leadership gifts and lead confidently. As Founder and CEO of The 4Sight Group, she consults with individuals and teams on leadership and organizational health.
Jenni is the author of several books, including Clout: Discover and Unleash Your God-Given Influence and The 4 Dimensions of Extraordinary Leadership.