“I shall stay until the wind changes.”
Navigate Through The Winds of Change
I haven’t left many positions in my life because I commit to jobs like I commit to relationships – selectively and with the intention of forever.
But jobs are rarely meant to be forever. They change with seasons.
I remember experiencing the winds of change years ago. Change that meant I needed to move on. Like my Disney hero, I hope I moved with grace, poise, and confidence.
It’s a topic that merits attention. Some of you may be considering a change in the coming year. Before leaders begin to move toward a new opportunity, they need to leave their current role with grace.
5 Tips to Leave with Grace
Here are some helpful insights that helped me navigate through seasons of change.
1) Be respectful. Show respect to your leaders. Seek to honor them. Praise them. Thank them.
2) Celebrate others. Focus on celebrating the team you served. Remind them of the gifts and strengths you see in them. Encourage them to keep using their gifts to serve the organization. Your parting words of affirmation can be life-giving.
3) Cherish the moments. Absorb every “thank you,” every encouraging word, every memory reminisced, and every fun story retold.
4) Process. Mourn. Feel. Reflect. Don’t be in a hurry to move on. You’ve invested yourself into something you deemed significant. Let yourself process, mourn, feel, and reflect on the joys and accomplishments of that season.
5) Let the wind carry you to your next adventure. You never know what is awaiting you there!
Celebrate every season with gratitude. Know that your time and service made a lasting impact and carry that with you.
Jenni Catron and The 4Sight Group
** 5 Simple Steps to a Great Strategic Plan **
Free Workbook to Get Moving Toward Your Goals
As leaders we are full of ideas and initiatives. We see potential and opportunity all around.
We can almost taste the outcome but oftentimes we get bogged down by how we’ll get from here to there.
The “how” can be overwhelming and discouraging so we give up on our goals or fail to build a plan to help us actually achieve them.
These five steps will get you and your team on the path to moving from ideas to action!
Jenni Catron is a writer, speaker, and leadership coach who consults churches and non-profits to help them lead from their extraordinary best. She speaks at conferences and churches nationwide, seeking to help others develop their leadership gifts and lead confidently. As Founder and CEO of The 4Sight Group, she consults with individuals and teams on leadership and organizational health.
Jenni is the author of several books, including Clout: Discover and Unleash Your God-Given Influence and The 4 Dimensions of Extraordinary Leadership.