“What single brave decision do you need to make today?” Michael Hyatt
That was the quote at the top of my planner today and it seemed pretty fitting for my conversation with Shannon Miles.
Shannon is the CEO of BELAY Inc, an Inc 500 Fastest-Growing Company and winner of Culture IQ and Entrepreneur’s #1 Company Culture awards. Since 2010, the company has grown to nearly seven hundred team members and serves nearly one thousand clients on a daily basis.
Highlights from our conversation:
- While Shannon’s book is written for women, the principles of creating remote work options, flexible work schedules and fully distributed teams are really important for all leaders to understand. I really leaned into this to learn how to be a better leader in a virtual world.
- Questions we discussed: Can I have virtual staff? Can I trust them? Is it fair? How do I do it
- Communication is always critical to success but in virtual cultures the communication threshold is so much higher.
- Remote teams must be integrated and connected. “If you start to feel disconnected, you’re going to act disconnected and there will be a disconnect.”
- Create a virtual “happy hour”. Such a fun idea!
- Clarity, Accountability, Flexibility are key to healthy work cultures.